Motor Vehicles


Pat Hieneman
Greenup County Clerk
PO Box 686
Greenup, KY 41144-0686
(606) 473-7394

We accept the following forms of payment: Cash, Check (In-State), Money Order, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Card.

Visa  MC  Discover

The documents available for download on our website open in PDF and therefore require Adobe Acrobat to view and print. To download a free copy of Acrobat Reader, click here.

Licensing > Fishing/Hunting License
Jump to Section:
Fishing | Hunting | Trout Permit | Senior/Disabled License | Trapping | Replacement License | License & Permit Fees

Fishing and Hunting licenses cannot be purchased at the clerk's office at this time. However, you can purchase them online from the Department of Fish & Wildlife or from the following local vendors:

Super Quick #2
73 St. Rt. 1
Greenup, KY 41144
Greenbo Lake State Park
965 Lodge Road
Greenup, KY 41144

Super Quick #3
500 Pond Run Rd.
Raceland, KY 41169

Super Quick I
1200 Bellefonte Rd., Ste. 100
Flatwoods, KY 41139

Super Quick #4
3828 St. Rt. 503
Wurtland, KY 41144
Super Quick #11
425 Bellefonte Street
Russell, KY 41169
A & B Convenient Mart
1908 Argillite Rd.
Flatwoods, KY 41139
Jerry & Debbie's Grocery
16307 State Rt. 7
Greenup, KY 41144
Brown's Grocery
8174 St. Rt. 207
Argillite, KY 41121
K.D.'s Foodmart
27833 US Hwy 23
South Shore, KY 41175

Any person who has established permanent and legal residence in Kentucky and resided here for at least 30 days immediately prior to applying for a license is considered a resident for the purpose of applying for an license. Full-time students enrolled in an institution of higher education for at least a six-month term and service personnel on permanent assignment in Kentucky are also considered residents. All others are considered nonresidents and are required, unless under the age of 16, to apply for a nonresident license.

All persons other than those under the age of 16 must complete and carry the proper license and permit to fish any Kentucky waters with the exception of resident owners of farmlands, his/her spouse and dependent children, who may fish on their land without a license. Tenants, their spouses and dependent children, may fish without a license on farmlands where they live and work. Additionally, resident servicemen on furlough of more than three days may fish statewide without a license, but must be able to provide proper identification and papers showing furlough status.
Back to Top

All those hunting in Kentucky must carry a valid Kentucky annual or short term hunting license on their person while in the field, unless otherwise exempt. Hunters are also required to possess and carry additional permits to hunt deer, turkey, and migratory birds in Kentucky, unless exempt.

Any hunter under the age of 16 may purchase a junior hunting license instead of a regular license. A junior hunting license cannot be issued without the written consent of a parent or guardian. Furthermore, a parent or guardian must sign the junior hunting license. A junior hunting license is valid from the time of purchase through the end of February, regardless of whether or not the hunter turns 16 after the license is issued.

Hunting license, permits, and authorization numbers are nontransferable. Licenses and permits must be signed and the hunter information portion completed before going afield. Hunters who own land in Kentucky but reside out-of-state must purchase non-resident licenses.

All hunters born on or after January 1, 1975, holding a permit must carry a verification of completion of a hunter education course on their person while hunting. A bow hunter not in possession of a firearm while hunting may carry a valid National Bowhunter Education Program course completion card in lieu of the hunter education course card. Children 10 years old and younger may hunt without an education card if accompanied by an adult who is in a position to take immediate control of the child's bow or firearm at all times while the juvenile is hunting. One adult cannot accompany more than two children in one hunting session. Hunter education cards obtained in other states are valid in Kentucky. Click here for more information on hunter education.
Back to Top

Trout Permit

A trout permit is required for anglers who wish to keep trout. Residents with a senior or disabled Kentucky combination hunting/fishing license, resident owners or tenants of farmlands, their spouses and dependent children wishing to fish on their own land, and persons under 16 are not required to obtain a trout license.
Back to Top

Senior/Disabled Combination Hunting & Fishing License
Kentucky residents 65 years of age and older, veterans 50% disabled as a result of service-connected disability, or residents with a permanent disability (who must obtain an authorization card from the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources by calling 1-800-858-1549) are eligible for a Senior/Disabled combination license, which is available at a discounted price of $5.00. Holders of this license are not required to hold any other state permits to hunt deer, turkey, or waterfowl. However, holders must purchase a federal waterfowl stamp before hunting waterfowl.

Persons 65 and older must show proof of age and residency to purchase the license. In addition to the license, the holder must carry proof of residency and age (driver's license) or disability on their person while hunting.
Back to Top

Trapping License Requirements
A trapping license must be obtained by all trappers, regardless of age, residency, or physical condition. Resident landowners, tenants, and their dependents and spouse trapping on their own property are also required to hold a valid trapping license.
Back to Top

Replacement License
In order to replace a lost or damaged license, you may choose one of the following options:
-Purchase the same type of license or permit from any license vendor, ask for a license refund form, complete the form, and mail it to: KDFWR Licensing; #1 Game Farm Road; Frankfort, KY 40601. You will receive a refund, minus a $3.00 shipping and handling fee.
-Mail $3.00, your name, address, the ID number you used to purchase the lost license or permit, and the name of the license you lost to KDFWR Licensing; #1 Game Farm Rd.; Frankfort, KY 40601. KDFWR will replace the lost materials after verifying your original purchase.
Back to Top

License & Permit Fees (* denotes items that must be purchased in person)

Resident Licenses Price
Combination Hunting and Fishing License $30.00
Resident Sportsman (includes Combination Hunting & Fishing, Deer Permit, Spring Turkey Permit, Fall Archery Turkey Permit, Fall Firearm Turkey Permit, State Waterfowl Permit, Trout Permit)--$117.50 value $95.00
Hunting License $20.00
Senior/Disabled License $5.00
Junior Hunting License* $5.00
Fishing License $20.00
One (1) Day Fishing License $7.00
Joint Fishing License (Husband/Wife)* $36.00
Trapping License $20.00
Trapping License (Landowner/Tenant) $10.00

Non-Resident Licenses Prices
Annual Hunting License $130.00
Five (5) Day Hunting License (not valid for deer or turkey) $40.00
Junior Hunting License* $5.00
Annual Fishing License $50.00
One (1) Day Fishing License $10.00
Seven (7) Day Fishing License $30.00
Fifteen (15) Day Fishing License $40.00
Trapping License $130.00

Permits (Resident and Non-Resident) Price
Bonus Antlerless Deer Permit $15.00
Bonus Quota Hunt Deer Permit $30.00
Junior Deer Permit* $10.00
Junior Turkey Permit* $10.00
Trout Permit $10.00
Waterfowl Permit $15.00
Migratory Bird Permit $10.00
Peabody Wildlife Area User Permit $15.00
Land Between the Lakes User Permit $20.00

Resident Permit Price
Deer Permit $30.00
Spring Turkey Permit $30.00
Fall Archery Turkey Permit $30.00

Non-Resident Permit Price
Deer Permit $60.00
Spring Turkey Permit $60.00
Fall Turkey Permit $60.00

Back to Top


Thank you for visiting our 24/7 office!


This site contains active content that may not work well with users operating browsers other than Internet Explorer.
To download Internet Explorer, click here.
This site is provided as a public service to the people of Greenup County. The County Clerk's office is not responsible for and disclaims
all liability for damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information contained herein.